Thursday 12 February 2015

Deja vu-BC Life

It's a lovely rainy day here on Nevis, and Madison and I had attempted grocery shopping but with some windshield wiper problems and the fact that we kept having to pull over and fix it, we decided to pause on the groceries and turn around and come back to wait for the rain to settle. So instead, I thought why not write a bit. 

In trying to plan this next post, nothing much has been happening here but when I was on one of my runs I got to thinking about the time Kyle and I were living in BC for a year while he finished up his final year at Bible College.

According to Google, the definition of Deja Vu is "a feeling of having already experienced the present situation."

Well folks, that is exactly what is happening here.

I have been noticing a lot of similarities between BC and Nevis. For those of you who don't know, I had a difficult time in BC. We were just married that summer back in 2009, and we packed up the Honda Civic and headed across the country to start our married life. It was exciting and nerve wracking, much like the feelings I had about moving to this island. I knew coming here would feel similar to the move to BC but I didn't realize how close the emotions were. 

Here are some of the similarities and differences I have noticed thus far:

Landscape:
BC: Beautiful mountain views
Nevis: Beautiful mountain views and ocean views

Weather:
BC: NO SNOW!!! (but it rained a lot)
Nevis: NO SNOW!!! :)

Apartment:
BC: One bedroom, no dishwasher, no furniture. But we did manage to snag a couch while we were living there
Nevis: One bedroom, no dishwasher, furniture, but no couch

Transportation
BC: I had to learn to drive a standard if I wanted to get anywhere, they didn't really have any buses where we were living, and it was a mission to get into town at times. The roads are mostly hills
Nevis: Currently no vehicle, learning to drive on the other side of the road, buses are available, but are on their own schedule. It's an all day affair to go to town. Lots of curves and pot holes in the roads. And hills

Friends:
BC: Although Kyle had a lot of friends there from school, I didn't really know anyone, and I had a hard time meeting people at first. However we did meet a great couple once we were there and we shared a lot of similarities.
Nevis: We both don't know anyone here, however we have met a great couple that we share a lot in common with

Groceries:
BC: Since we were newly married, I had to get used to grocery shopping for two, and trying to work with a real budget for the first time. 
Nevis: Working on a budget again, and trying to convert pricing from EC to US, and learning what is good to buy here and where the good stores are

Cooking:
BC: Having to cook for two as new to me! I didn't always enjoy it and there was a big learning curve
Nevis: I haven't really cooked in awhile since living back home because of our jobs and busy nights we ate out a lot. Coming here, it was like learning to cook all over again. I wake up in the morning thinking what we are having for dinner

Working Out:
BC: This was when I first started running. Running with big hills was interesting.
Nevis: I had taken a break from running, but now being on the island with the time I am getting back into it, and running with hills again

Jobs:
BC: I had a hard time finding a job there, and the job I did have was not in my field at all but it payed the bills.
Nevis: No job yet, but I am scoping out some potential opportunities, possibly in a school (I'll keep you posted on that).

Movies:
BC: There was a movie theatre, but if I recall it was kinda sketchy, and didn't always have the popular movies playing
Nevis: No movie theatre, but there is one only a ferry ride away. We attempted to go last weekend, but it didn't work out because of the timing of the movie with the timing of the ferry, maybe another time. 

Internet/Power:
BC: Being "trapped on the hill" as they called it, the internet was kinda in and out, and often calls would get dropped.
Nevis: Being "trapped on the island" as I call it, the internet drops and cell reception isn't that good at times

Wildlife:
BC: Bears, goats, cows
Nevis: Monkeys, goats, cows, donkeys, dogs, cats

Missing home:
BC: I missed home everyday!!!! Technology saved me, but I didn't have face time back then
Nevis: I miss home everyday!!!! I have facetime :)

So, as you can see, there are a lot of similarities between Nevis and my BC life. Seeing them written out makes me think I should be an expert then at moving to a new place. I think it has definitely helped me, and I haven't felt as scared being out here as I did in BC. Kyle and I have definitely grown up as a couple, and I have become more independent. The BC experience although not the greatest, I think was necessary. It really has prepared me for this experience and I have learned what the positives were from that, and how to bring that to this journey. 

I was able to Skype with some of my work friends last night and it was awesome! I felt like I was right there in their living room hanging out like normal. It's great that I can keep in contact with family. Thank you everyone who has been emailing us and sending your love from afar. We really appreciate your support through this. 

Sorry no pictures today. I'm sure you are bored of my ocean view anyway ;)
The rain has let up a bit so I think we are going to try grocery shopping again. 

Miss you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment