Sunday 18 October 2015

Island Birthday

Hey Everyone,

So this is a new one, celebrating my birthday on a beach. Being October, I usually celebrate surrounded by the fall colors and sometimes even snow. Not this year, living it up big on this sunny island! Although I was thankful for great weather, it was definitely unusual. However, I did my best to make it count here. It was tough because Kyle has exams on Monday so he really needed to study this weekend. However, we did go out to lunch with a friend of mine and her fiance to a fancier restaurant. I have only been to Golden Rock once before, for a hike, but never to eat. Kyle has been there to eat and he said the burgers are amazing, and he was right! Awesome food, decently priced-only 12 US for a burger and fries. The view was spectacular and the conversation was awesome :)




I was able to capture a hummingbird in this pic. 








Delicious!! 




This guy decided to stop by for some lunch. 



I do wish I could have been with friends and family from home, but this is my life now. Sandy beaches and palm trees, surrounded by picturesque ocean waters. After lunch, Kyle went back to the apartment to study and I went to the beach. I haven't been in awhile and it was nice and relaxing. I then went to my friends house where they made homemade pesto pasta and Kyle came by for some dessert and brought cheesecake. I must say, it was definitely not the worst birthday ever!!! I am just trying to make the best of it here and I think I am doing pretty well. Thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday, I definitely felt the love on this rock!

Things are also looking up at work. Since I am no longer working one to one with the child who was causing me some problems because of the race thing, I am able to focus on a group therapy program focusing on problem solving. I may also be starting to do more work in the community actually doing therapy that I am trained in. There is a child who has Down's Syndrome and autism at a preschool and could definitely benefit from more intensive one to one therapy. She was getting speech therapy from my friend, but if things work out, we could be teaming up and providing more behavioral therapy. The principal thinks it would be a much better use of my skill set pending the proper paper work. So I am pretty pumped for that to work out!

After Kyle has exams on Monday we might go out to celebrate, there may be some cake involved, so we will see what happens tomorrow.

I have also started doing some work out sessions with a trainer. There is a local guy who comes to the Med School 3 times a week in the evenings, and he charges only 10 EC (which is about 5 Canadian). I started going with a couple of Kyle's classmates and it has been really good so far! I hope I can keep it up, I feel productive and it's motivating.

Anyway, just a quick update for now. Hope everyone is surviving the cold! I heard there was snow this weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment